Well...
Let me put it this way, I suppose.
My name is Kathy. I fancy myself a writer. This blog will chronicle my adventures in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) 2013. I have participated - and won - the past two years in a row - but want to take a serious crack at this year's novel. Why now, and not before?
That's a good question. I suppose that I was equally serious each time prior - but in different ways.
The first attempt was to prove to myself that I could do it: that I really could write 50,000 words in a month. Call of Ghosts, my first novel attempt - is an in progress work set in the broken mind of a female veteran. This was a particularly hard piece to start with, and will require a lot of work to be done the way it needs to be. However, it gave me some valuable insight into my creative process.When I am ready, I will revisit Dee Tannon and her broken psyche.
Novillero, my second attempt - is an adventure in the Weird West starring Milos Vega and his travelling troupe of minotaur. He is, after all, a torrero - or bullfighter. This one was a neat idea that incorporated a lot of fantasy elements. Unfortunately I did not research this one enough prior to writing it and created a mess. The sad truth was that I had let myself become distracted with a full time work and school schedule, and nearly decided not to participate at all when November came around. Somehow I managed to pull through, but it was an incredibly painful process that I do not want to repeat.
This year I will be revisiting a story idea that has long been in my mind, but never written. I am in a much better place in my life - with a flexible work and school schedule and a lot of support - to give this the time and preparation that it rightfully deserves. This novel will be named Epicenter, as it is the center - the beginning - of the events in the trilogy that is to follow. This story, ALL of it, has been my passion for 15 years or more. It is time to finally pull it out of my head - to create, and to share it with everyone.
So here I am, wearing my heart on my sleeve and blogging like I have never blogged before. (To be fair, I don't think I've blogged before. Hah!) I hope to share my journey with anyone who will be there to read, and perhaps inspire others on the way.
That's what this is all about, isn't it?
No comments:
Post a Comment